Home » Tourism


If you will be staying in the UK for up to 6 months for tourist purposes you will not need a visa.

If you have a criminal record or have previously been refused entry to the UK, you should apply for a visa.

For tourist reasons, you will be able to take a holiday in the UK or spend time with family or friends.

However, you will not be able to:

  • Carry out paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a freelancer
  • Claim public funds (benefits)
  • Live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent or successive visits
  • You will not be able to marry or register a civil partnership, or even notify a marriage or civil partnership.

To do this you will need a visitor visa for visitors who intend to marry, called a Marriage Visitor Visa.

At the UK border you will need to provide a passport which must be valid for the duration of your stay in the UK.

You may also be asked to prove that:

  • You are visiting the UK for tourism purposes
  • You are able to support yourself and your employees during the visit (or have funding from someone else to support you)
  • You have arranged accommodation for the period of your stay
  • You are able to pay for your return or onward travel (or have funding from someone else to support you)
  • You will leave the UK as soon as your visit ends

If you are under 18 and travelling alone you may be required to provide a letter from a parent or guardian giving:

  • their contact details and consent to travel to the UK
  • the name, date of birth, address and relationship to the child of the person with whom the child will be staying
  • their consent to have the child stay with the person named in the letter

If you will not be staying with a close relative, your parent or guardian must notify the relevant local authority of the visit either if you are under 16 years old (or under 18 if you have a disability), or if you will be cared for for more than 28 days by someone who is not your close relative (called private foster care)

It is advisable to bring a reply from your local authority if you have one.

The Honorary Consulate of San Marino endeavours to keep the information above updated but strongly recommends checking the UK government website for any eventual changes.